Rural Women of Latvia - Learn Project Planning and Elaboration
The aim of the project is to promote the ability of rural women of Latvia in project planning and elaboration. 30 women of the Vidzemeâs region (one of 4 historical regions of Latvia) took part in a 48-hours training program âThe fate of the country lies in our handsâ (analyse of present situation, setting of aims, target group and activities etc.) and in summer school (sharing of experiences, brain storm, ideas for new projects etc.). The evaluation of this project shows that the civic activity of rural women and their willingness to change the present situation have grown during the last 8 months.
After Latviaâs joining to the EU there are a lot of the EU sources which can be used for the development of the whole country, what can not be realised without the development of regions. Well planned and elaborated projects are excellent possibility to get funds for rural development. Therefore there is an actual need in Latvia to activate rural people, especially women.
Target Group and Context:
Association of Rural Women of Latvia was founded on the 28th November, 2000. Its aims are to facilitate rural woman to get education as well as information; to coordinate inhabitants of rural areas and national institutions. The association is comprised of 245 officially registered woman organisations and 50 unofficial woman clubs. All in all, the association has 4000 members.
In the present project 30 women of Vidzemeâs region took part.
Disadvantages of this group: financial situation (poverty, low incomes), lack of experiences, social depression, disbelief in their abilities, low self-esteem.
- To define needs of rural women (rw),
- To promote the civic activity of rw,
- To gain the belief in themselves,
- To develop cooperation skills,
- To recognise the need of changes in the local society,
- To recognise the needs of other groups and see the solution of problems,
- To select useful information,
- To recognise the impact of their projects,
- To share experiences and to produce new ideas.
Informal Learning Activities:
- - 48-hours training program âThe fate of the country lies in our handsâ (tests, project elaboration and presentation)
- - training materials
- - leaflets (information about gained experience and results and consulters)
- - summer school (exchange of experiences, deciding of follow up of this training program)
Methods: Interviews, observation, document analyse, questionnaires, group work, reflective diary.
Chosen competences: Institutional knowledge macro level, cooperation, orientation towards change, knowledge about life and situations of others, getting and using information.
Leading question: How will the civic activity of rural women and their willingness to change the present situation change during this project?
The evaluation of this project shows that the trainees know the institutions which can help to solve their actual needs and where they can get advices. The civic activity of rural women and their willingness to change the present situation have grown. The cooperation between rural women has become more intensive. The regional development in Latvia has grown and social inequality has more decreased because of the activity in project elaboration of rw and funds that were directly connected with newly elaborated projects.